The Pros and Cons of Streaming
So many people are cutting the cord and switching to streaming services. Is it worthwhile?
What do you think of when someone mentions streaming services? You certainly aren’t alone if you visualize sitting down to watch your favorite show. Then again, you might simply picture the increasing amount of money you spend watching movies and TV shows on demand, since you have to subscribe to so many different services to keep up with everything you love!
Both perspectives are valid, because there are clear benefits and drawbacks to TV streaming services. It’s important to consider these before committing to any streaming options. Read on to find out more about the pros and cons of streaming.
The Pros of Streaming
Over the past 15 years or so, more and more people began to switch to streaming services when their cable and satellite television services became increasingly expensive. To many customers, the price was just part of the problem. Cutting cable and switching to streaming was often a result of poor quality viewing experiences and even worse customer service, too.
Besides saving money by foregoing cable TV service, here are some of the other perks of streaming platforms:
- They deliver music and shows faster.
- You control what you watch and when.
- It takes less storage space than downloading content.
- You can catch up on old favorite shows on your own schedule.
- You can explore new shows with no commitment.
- You can watch on Android or Apple devices, or smart TVs, gaming consoles, etc.
- You can still watch live streaming events, like NFL games, college basketball, and other sports.
- Some streaming platforms are 100% free.
- Amazing variety: From Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Netflix, and Roku, to Sling TV, YouTube TV, and Disney+, there is plenty of exciting, original content to watch, plus a lot of your classic favorites.
The Cons of Streaming
Even with so many positives, there are real negatives related to streaming, too. Let’s start with some of the less-than-ideal lifestyle issues:
- Let’s face it, binge-watching can be unhealthy.
- Streaming can distract kids from educational and/or more active alternatives.
- Choice fatigue.
- Social isolation.
- Danger of ignoring other interests.
None of this means you should abstain from streaming TV shows, movies, music, books, and more. The benefits can be worthwhile if you commit to maintaining good habits and setting limits — especially for young viewers.
Some people also encounter technical issues that can reduce the quality of the watching and listening experience. These may not be as common in larger cities like San Francisco or New York, but they are definitely an issue in some rural communities. But it isn’t just location that can affect the streaming experience. Here are some of the other problems that can arise that negatively affect streaming:
- It requires a fast Internet connection to avoid latency.
- Constant buffering can be frustrating.
- Movie, music, and TV streams can deny other devices needed data.
- You may need to upgrade devices.
Fortunately, there are things you can do to mitigate technical issues. For example, you can find a provider or package with higher Internet speeds.
Frequently Asked Questions on Streaming TV
Here are some of the most popular questions about streaming television, movies, and live streaming:
What Is the Advantage of Streaming Services?
The prime advantage of streaming services is that they empower you to fully customize your viewing experience. If you are willing to pay for the privilege, you can watch endless hours of ad-free television, sports, and films. This selection includes a range of genres that are sure to fit any interest.
Some original programming is also only available on certain streaming platforms.
What Is the Difference Between Streaming TV and Regular TV?
With streaming television, you watch content on demand via an Internet connection. This setup is different from regular TV, where you watch shows as they are aired over-the-air or via a cable subscription.
What Are the Cons of Hulu?
People love the variety that Hulu offers as well as the live content offered with some of their packages. Unfortunately, some users are turned off by the expensive add-ons, too many commercials, and the somewhat confusing price structure.
How Do You Pick the Best Streaming Service?
Start by narrowing down the genres and shows that really interest you. Then, research where you are most likely to find what you love. Don’t feel obligated to simply choose what is popular.
For example, if nothing on Netflix interests you, choose something else. There are so many options, including platforms that specifically show educational options or focus on special interests like DIY.
Whether you decide streaming or traditional cable service is best for you, it’s important to find providers you can trust. Enter your address, and let SmartMove help you find the provider(s) you need today.
Enter the address where you'd like your Internet service.