How to Start Unpacking & Organizing After a Move
David Gregg, new product reporter and senior editor at Behindthebuy.com, gives you the inside scoop on some of his favorite products to help you organize when unpacking and settling into a new home.
All prices are approximate. You can get a range of online ordering options for most of the products by clicking on the Next Tag links below the items. David also found them all on Amazon.com.
1. Garage: Keep your garage floor clear of heavy items (i.e. outdoor furniture, tires, canoes, etc…) and access them without a ladder with this space saver.
The RacorPro PHL-1R Pro HeavyLift Storage Rack lets you load and lift heavy items to the ceiling for storage without the need for a ladder. It helps to free up valuable floor space in your garage or storage area and allows you to store heavier items, such as furniture, lawn mowers, tires, canoes, snow throwers, and more. The heavy-duty, 4-by-4-foot platform is built to last and provides 16 square feet of additional storage space in your garage or storage area. $144
2. Kitchen: This simple to install organization solution will add more storage space and allow easier access to the items stored in your kitchen cabinets.
The Rev-A-Shelf Double Pull-Out Chrome Wire Baskets are perfect for mounting under the sink or in a base cabinet on fixed shelves. 18" full extension drawer slides allow full access. Bottom mounting slides require only 4 screws to fasten to cabinet. Width: 14-3/4" Depth: 22" Height: 19". Minimum Opening Width: 14-1/2" $100
3. Bathroom: Here’s a unique under sink bathroom organizer that allows easier access and better organization of your health and beauty products.
The Madesmart Expandable Under Sink Shelf Organizer is fabricated from solid metal piping. The durable plastic shelves are modular and can be arranged to fit around any under sink pipe configuration adding desirable shelf space. The organizer includes 10 adjustable shelves and is easy to clean and install. Dimensions: 17-1/4” by 11” by 18-1/4” to 32” $23
4. Closet: Your friends will think you hired a custom closet designer thanks to the quality construction and design of this very affordable storage system.
The ClosetMaid Closet Organizer provides 9-feet of hanging space, 10-feet of general storage space and 3-feet of shoe storage space. The shoe storage is located under the long hang storage for efficiency and function. This closet organization system offers the budget shopper an excellent value. $33-$130
5. The Laundry Room: All of your laundry room staples will always be in reach thanks to this laundry room organizer.
The Wall Control Deluxe Laundry Room Organizer kit offers excellent storage and organization for your laundry room thanks to all-steel construction that will not warp, fray or crack. The patented double offset hook engagement improves hook stability securing any variety of laundry room necessities such as ironing boards, mops, brooms, and clothes hangers. The double offset hook engagement also prevents hooks from falling out of their slot when laundry supplies are removed. The slotted storage panel's attractive, scratch resistant, baked-on powder coat finish wipes clean for long-lasting aesthetic appeal for any laundry room. $170
6. Toy Storage - Encourage a love of reading and your child’s organization skills, with help from this kid-friendly sling bookshelf!
The Sling Book Shelf by One Step Ahead displays books face front, attracting young readers, and the soft, canvas shelves give little hands easy access. The shelves are anchored so they won't shift and they are designed to hold all size books.
Dimensions: 29¼"L x 13"W x 31"H. $50