On the hunt for a new TV? Wondering what size of TV you need to complete a room? Whether you’re moving into a new home and are outfitting your new place with some snazzy new tech or are looking to replace an old television set, here’s everything you need to know about shopping for that perfect size:
- Start with a simple equation. Multiply the distance in inches you’ll be away from your television by .84. This equation is based on THX’s television placement recommendations, and will help get you started on figuring out what size of TV you need depending on how much space you have in the room you’re setting it up in.
- Looking for a 4K UHD television for your main entertainment set-up in a living room? Get a 55’’ television or larger in order to get the most out of your ultra-high def 4k TV set. Anything smaller and you’re missing out on the benefits of that more cinematic home entertainment experience.
- Looking for a large television for a home theater? Pick your ideal-sized television depending on how far away your guests will be sitting in your home theater. Is your furthest viewer approximately six to nine feet away from the screen? You’ll need a television that’s at least 60 inches in size, if not larger.
- Looking for a smaller TV set for a bedroom or office? Start with using the simple equation, and decide where you’re going to be viewing the TV from most often. Generally you can’t go wrong with anything larger than 50’’, but it depends on your needs for the space.
- Don’t sacrifice size for quality. Getting a smaller television with a better quality may be the right move. If you’re looking for something to accommodate movie nights with a large group of people, it may be best to invest in a projector instead of a large television. Having one smaller but higher quality television will provide the depth of colors and sharpness that elevate your viewing experience in a way that a huge (but lower quality) television may not.
- Looking for a large monitor/TV to double as a primary or secondary computer monitor? Computer monitors are often between the 25’’-35’’ range, and if you’re a gamer, enjoy editing photos or videos, or are looking for the functionality of a larger image for a second screen, you may want to consider purchasing a small television that you can mirror your computer screen onto. Keep in mind that the larger your secondary monitor, the further away you’ll want to be from it. Generally, keep your second monitor under 55’’ unless you plan on setting it further away and using it more like a television instead of a dual monitor.
One of the key components of picking the right TV size is making sure that you can sit close enough for the experience to be cinematic, but not too close that you can begin to see the delineation of the pixels. The higher quality of television you buy, the closer you can sit to it while preserving image quality and sharpness.
In order to get the most out of your purchase, make sure you have the high-speed Internet and cable package that does your new TV justice. The last thing you want is to not have all the channels you want, or for a show to buffer in the middle of the best part. SmartMove connects you with the right cable and Internet packages for you, enter your location on our homepage and we’ll do the rest.
When it comes to television sets, the right size makes a difference. Choose wisely — and don’t be afraid to return your TV and get the right one if you don’t pick correctly the first time!